Never forget how you started

Normally the posts on this blog are and will be about entertainment, but I felt the need to write some thoughts that had been daunting me today.

I was with my family and we were leaving the mall. An oldish entleman was begging for money and the natural instinct is to close the windows just in case that man, like so many before him, tries to hijack us, steal from us or try to kill us. So anyway this man also like so many before him ended up being an innocent begger who was just looking for an extra buck to get through the day.

One of my family members said "I hate having to close the window" ,which is something we all hate doing. But as she said that, and not an offense to her because like I said I have so often thought  and said the same thing, in my head thought " oh well sorry that his being poor inconviences us". And I stopped in my tracks of thought process and was like WHAT THE HECK.  Firstly, what she did wasn't wrong and I was not in anyway aiming that thought at her, but rather myself because I never truly thought about the guy on the other side. I mean I have but never to the sense where I thought their presence may be an inconvenience to my life. Which of course in its own sense is wrong.

Our natural instinct is to either give the guy a Rand or two and carry out with our days or ignore him and hope he doesn't haras you for the 3 minutes you may be stuck at a traffic light for.  I have often thought about what my life would be if I was in that situation, but never has a thought haunted me this badly.

This could honestly and truly be anyone of us, and I feel I, myself take things in my life for granted. I guess sometimes we need a reality check, that it doesn't matter how rich you are, you could still fall into a situation where you would be standing on the other side of the window so desperate, asking for money to survive.  Your dignity stripped, your integrity questioned on a daily basis and your faith in humanity slipping day by day, car by car. What if you were so desperate to provide for your family, or buy another drink to the numbness of your pain to get through the life that has been dealt to you, and someone closed their window in your face?

I am truly guilty of doing this myself, especially when I drive alone, but I think I will definitely think twice before being so quick to throw my hand on the button to raise my window.

If anything I have to remember that we all start somewhere and we could all be in a situation out of our control.

No comments:

Post a Comment